The BB 1142’s lineage dates back to the 1960s, when a fleet of electric locomotives was built as an efficient answer to the challenging Sdbahn and its Semmering pass. In all, over 250 locomotives (classified as the BB 1042) would be built over 14 years, making them an important part of day-to-day mixed-traffic operations. Fast forward to the 1990s, and the oldest of the BB 1042s (the 1042.0s) were due to be replaced. Orders for the next generation were placed, meanwhile, the fate of the younger 1042.5s was discussed. It was decided that the newer series, if suitably converted, would be perfect for Wendezug (shuttle train) duties. The rebuilt locomotives were reclassified as the BB 1142, and they immediately got to work on shuttle passenger duties across the Austrian network. In recent years, some locomotives have been retired, or been sold to other operators in Europe, however BB still retain a fleet of 45 for their own use.